Monday, December 10, 2018

Thoughts and Notes: Pyjamas are Forgiving !!

Before I write the review let me just vent off my feelings at this moment. Once being an ardent reader and then not being able to concentrate on books, it was a U-turn for me. It hurt me most of the times leaving me back imagining- what happened? why am I not being able to complete the books which I always did. Book, my best friends-why are they so far from me? I always picked up one and would end up half way. I still have many books piled up.

Even with this uncaring for book, the best place for me is library and book shops. Solace, I would find in touching the books, talking to the books, turning them pages over pages. My excuses for not reading started with my pregnancy, where I couldn't concentrate properly and later I said the baby. However, during my pregnancy I read Sachin and Hillary skimming through the pages. The skimming continued till late.

Few more books have added in our library after I reached to the bookshop, this June as I could leave the lil one for a longer time. But still the story remain unchanged. Last Friday (7 Dec, 2018) bookshop called me again, as there had to be new addition in the lil ones library and I wanted some books at our end too. With the Doggie and Aladdin book for babu, along came "Pyjamas are Forgiving" by @mrsfunnybones. And it did cease the dry-spell of reads. Here's a swift review for the book;
PC: @KanchanOjha ;-)!
Anshu, who after her divorce has been running a playschool comes to Shanthmaaya twice every year. Fighting with her insomnia and her fallen apart love, she tries hard to overcome with unpleasantness and live a good life. The twist in the story comes in at the point as her regular refuge to Shanthmaaya is strangled by the presence of her ex-husband Jay and his wife Shalini. The story traverses between ripples created by the presence of these two in the calm life of Anshu. There are more characters Jenna, Dr. Mennon, Dr.Pillai, Vivaan, Lalit, Javed, Anil who are all interestingly embedded in the plot. The writer has done justice with all the details and connected the dots so well whether she brings in Mandira, the protagonist's sister or her mother. Twinkle Khanna uses words very artistically and even the sentences are heartfelt, whether she talks of love or maim. At one occasion she writes something like "who can explain why one person becomes more important than the many we meet in our lifetime? I only know I still feel the same way about him that people feel when they bring Ganpati to their house.' At the other she says "Blame is a bullet that the world fires at an already wounded victim.' There are more interesting Mrs funnybones usual sarcasms without which the story would remain dull.

Pyjamas are Forgiving travels to Kerala and to and fro to many other places as Anshu the protagonist travels. I love the details of places as our mind travels along with them. What I find missing in the novel is a concrete ending to the story, unless the writer plans for a sequel. I give a 3.5 ***

Find the Review also at GoodReads :-)!

Happy Reading
Metta !!


0 comments:

Post a Comment